Sunday 11 October 2009

Musings on fantasy

I've just blasted through the Raymond E Feist Serpentwar Saga for about the twentieth time. I have a soft spot for the books, they are somewhat dear to me for no rational reason. However, I've noticed something in my last couple of re reads which makes me sad...

The mythical element is so much weaker than the action roles, it is absurd. There's nothing well done about it, and it's so clumsy. Compare it to a pretty similar mythical element (God gone, how does it impact on the world, how do you cope) in the Godless World saga.

The problem is, it is an interesting conceit, which Feist bleeds to death. This is the reason I haven't got his later books yet - because I know it's going to happen again.

As it is, I skipped all the bits with Pug in, because it's dull. I won't be reading the end of the final book, I've read it before, it doesn't do anything for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment